Frequent Questions

Sex Offenders

Do sex offenders receive treatment while in prison?

Yes. Inmates convicted of a sex offense or been assessed as needing sex offender treatment are encouraged to take part in a Sex Offender Treatment Program (STOP). Failure to take part or complete STOP can negatively impact an inmate's parole and classification level.

Those inmates who are terminated from or refuse treatment while in prison may have their visits restricted, may be classified to a higher level and may jeopardize their parole release.

Do sex offenders have to register upon their release from prison in South Dakota?

Yes. All persons convicted of serious sex crimes, including federal, military, out-of-state convictions and certain adjudicated juveniles, must register if residing in South Dakota. Offenders have within five (5) days of coming into any county to reside, temporarily domicile, attend school, attend post secondary education classes or work. Registration shall be with the chief of police, if no chief of police exists, then registration is completed with the sheriff of the county.

Offenders must register every six (6) months. They are first required to register during their birth month and then required to register six (6) months after their birth month. Each offender registered in South Dakota must go to the South Dakota law enforcement agency where the offender last registered. The offender will be sent once a year a non-forward able verification form to their last known address. The offender is required to return the verification form to the Division of Criminal Investigation within 10 days. Failure to comply is a Class 6 Felony.

Those required to register as sex offenders may NOT establish a residence or reside within a "community safety zone". The community safety zone is 500 feet from the facilities and grounds of any school, public park, public playground, or public pool.

South Dakota requires lifetime registration.

Is there a list of all of the registered sex offenders available to the public?

Yes. Beginning on July 1, 2006, the Attorney General's Office and Division of Criminal Investigation added a state-wide sex offender registry to the state's web site. You can view the South Dakota Sex Offender registry at