South dakota state penitentiary
Darin Young, Warden
The South Dakota State Penitentiary is located in northern Sioux Falls, occupying approximately thirty acres. First constructed as a territorial prison in 1881, it became the South Dakota State Penitentiary when South Dakota was granted statehood in 1889. Though a large portion of the original buildings remain, numerous structural changes have occurred over the years.
The main Penitentiary facility contains three housing units. The G. Norton Jameson Annex began housing inmates in February 1993. The Jameson Annex contains three housing units within a secure perimeter and a minimum security unit known as Unit C, which is located outside the perimeter fence.
Inmate employment within the Penitentiary falls into two basic categories; institutional support and prison industries. Institutional support includes those employed in food service, as clerks for various departments, as cell orderlies and those working in maintenance. Prison Industries consists of upholstery, printing, sign, decal, license plates, carpentry, book bindery, machine shop, Braille unit, garments and data entry. All but the garment and data entry work is done at the Penitentiary. Most of the work is done for government agencies.
Inmates are offered literacy, Adult Basic Education and GED classes.
The state Department of Health provides medical, dental and optometric services for the adult corrections system. Correctional Health
The state Department of Social Services provides mental health and chemical dependency services. Correctional Behavioral Health
Treatment is also offered for sex offenders.
1600 North Drive
PO Box 5911
Sioux Falls, SD 57117