frequent questions

Inmate Releases

Note: You can access the applicable DOC policies by clicking on Policies under the About Us tab.
1.4.G.2  Inmate Release Procedure


What are the different ways for an inmate to be released from prison?

An inmate could be discharged from custody upon serving their complete sentence, often known as "flatting" their sentence, be paroled, be released on suspended sentence or extended confinement.

What happens before an inmate is released in any of those ways?

Staff in the records department review the date calculations of the inmate's sentence and check for any holds or detainers placed on inmates by other law enforcement agencies. If the inmate was convicted of a sex offense, the forms required for them to register as a sex offender are sent to them to complete before their release.

If the release date is confirmed, staff also then determine the amount of money the inmate has in their bank account, the forwarding address and transportation needs for the inmate and forward this information to the institution business office.

Do inmates receive money when they are released?

Yes. This is often known as gate money.

If paroling or releasing on suspended sentence, the inmate may receive a bus ticket or a ride on a transport shuttle to the county of commitment or equivalent distance. If discharging their sentence, the inmate may receive transportation if they did not receive this transportation on a prior parole or suspended sentence release on this sentence.

Inmates initially releasing from an institution on parole or suspended sentence or discharge will leave with a minimum of $50 gate money. This gate money will come from the account of the inmate. If the inmate has less than $50 in their account, the State will supplement the amount needed to allow the inmate to leave with $50. 

Do inmates receive anything that shows they have completed their sentence?

All inmates completing their final prison sentence either from a DOC facility, parole or suspended sentence will receive a Discharge Certificate.

Discharge certificates for inmates under Parole Department Supervision will be distributed to the appropriate parole agent.

The discharge certificate is necessary for the inmate to regain their rights as citizens (voting).